The main goal of the Food Security Working Group is to recognize and foster an understanding of the issues surrounding the global impact of economics, health and the environment on food security, focusing on the circumpolar region.
The Food Security Working Group will:
- Identify what food security is so that the group has a clear definition to work from.
- Develop a forum for discussion and collaboration between interested parties within the circumpolar region on issues pertaining to food security.
- Support food security streams at future ICCH.
- Work to bring attention to food security issues in the circumpolar region through research, advocacy and discussions amongst members.
- Support Northern communities to take ownership for their land and food, to understand where their local food supply comes from, to plan for possible scenarios of low food supplies, and to create sustainability.
- Share current initiatives/programs that are impacting food security.
Jill Christensen (jill_christensen [@] gov.nt.ca)
Sophia Wadowska (sophia_wadowska [@] gov.nt.ca)